I’m a veteran designer, developer, and creative director, specializing in UX, responsive web design, and editorial design.
I work at ProPublica, a non-profit newsroom that produces journalism in the public interest. I became their first design director in May of 2014, and am building a design practice to support and extend their award-winning reporting.
Previously I was an independent consultant, working with the likes of Birchbox, Bond Art + Science, Juju, Nomad Editions, Novartis, Readability, Signpost, Thomson Reuters, and Qualcomm. Before that, I led the interactive design team at BusinessWeek, and helped build some of the first web-based textbooks at Pearson Education. I’ve also been a staff columnist for A List Apart magazine and a member of Readability’s Board of Advisors.
When I’m not pushing pixels or punching code, I can usually be found fiddling with cameras or exploring the wilds of New York (both urban and rural varieties). Oh, and it’s pronounced “slate.”
Here and Thereabouts
Highlights from some of my other writing and speaking.
- podcast Responsive Web Design: Episode 53 A wide-ranging discussion with Ethan Marcotte and Karen McGrane about how ProPublica approaches Responsive Web Design.
- video Poynter Mobile News Summit: Building Mobile Teams Panel discussion at Columbia Journalism School with myself, BuzzFeed’s Stacy-Marie Ishmael, and McClatchy’s Damon Kiewsow about building mobile-savvy teams that work across editorial and technical roles in the newsroom.
- interview Nieman Journalism Lab: Two Out of Two News Organizations Recommend User Research Comparing the two very different paths ProPublica and the New York Times are taking in pioneering user experience research in the newsroom.
- article Nieman Journalism Lab: What Might vs. What Should My contribution to Nieman’s annual ‘Predictions for Journalism’ series.
- podcast ProPublica: What Design Can Do for Investigative Journalism A quick podcast chat with ProPublica’s assistant managing editor Scott Klein about building better design practices for journalism.
- interview Nieman Journalism Lab: What Does a Design Director at ProPublica Do? Talking with Nieman’s Josepth Lichterman about taking on the role of ProPublica’s first design director.
- video Re:build: The Future Rocked Full video of my conference talk discussing the past, present, and future of publishing.
- article A List Apart: What Ate the Periodical? A Primer for Web Geeks Two decades after the arrival of the web the search for durable, profitable business models for publishing continues.
- podcast The Big Web Show with Jeffrey Zeldman: Episode 66 A chat with web standards legend Jeffrey Zeldman about the intersection of publishing and technology, magazine apps, and why piracy is an opportunity for publishers.
- interview The Setup: David Sleight A brief interview about work tools.
- article A List Apart: Stand and Deliver One of the greatest challenges any designer faces is articulating the intuitive. Some thoughts on clearly explaining the hows and whys of the craft to clients and co-workers, preparing for meetings, and presenting well.